Positions Location: Lansing, MI
Sparrow Hospital, located in Lansing, Michigan is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated, full-time physician for Medical Director of Precision Oncology and Genomics for oversight of cancer genomic research and precision oncology services within the Herbert-Herman Cancer Center (HHCC). Sparrow Hospital's cancer program moved into a newly constructed, leading-edge facility, the Herbert-Herman Cancer Center, in July 2017. Sparrow Hospital and the HHCC are fully committed to improving access to top medical care across Mid-Michigan.
The essential duties of the position are:
* Actively participate with HHCC physicians and staff to implement genomics for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
* Oversee cancer genomic research and precision oncology services to include all clinical disciplines (i.e., Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Surgical Oncology, etc.)
* Develop and implement genomic research and precision oncology strategic plans, including Medical and Radiation Oncology, ensuring programs align with hospital and health system quality, growth, and financial objectives
* Work continuously with other physicians in patient diagnosis and treatment with the goal of increasing and optimizing quality and quantity of life for patients
* Run a genomics clinic, providing patients and referring providers with detailed explanations of comprehensive genomic profiling, analyses of pathways affected by specific mutation, therapeutic options based on genomic test results, and literature to support claims to insurance companies for medications
* Participate in call coverage and "on duty" and "on-call" responsibilities that split coverage responsibility evenly among members of the oncology provider team
* Promote active use of genomics for patient care throughout the Sparrow system and physicians throughout the region with the goal of increasing referrals to HHCC and the utilization of genomics for the detection and treatment of all types of cancer
* Provide physician oversight for molecular tumor boards
* Analyze and publish results obtained through the molecular tumor board
* Engage in CME conferences and activities related to research, precision oncology, and related clinical topics
* Work cooperatively with the hospital's marketing department to promote genomic research and precision oncology as a concept throughout the health system, community, region, and nation
* Participate in fundraising activities for cancer genomic research and precision oncology
* Actively monitor cancer genomic research programs with all stakeholders - academia, drug companies, NIH, etc. Sponsor research programs as appropriate
* Act as HHCC liaison with 3rd party genomic providers
* Aggressively pursue relevant Phase III drug trials whose focus is expansion of approvals to specific types of cell mutations
* M.D. or D.O. degree from an accredited institution
* Board Certified or Board Eligible in Medical Oncology, Surgical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, or other Adult Oncology specialty
* Precision Oncology expertise
* Demonstrates ability to supply professional medical services representative of the highest quality, compassionate medical care
* Demonstrates highly developed interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) needed to develop positive relationships and gain support from patients/families, providers, nurses, support staff, administration, and community members.
* Ability to collaborate with national leaders in precision oncology or related specialties
Position is hospital-employed and offers:
* Excellent compensation and benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage
* Relocation assistance, 401(k) with matching funds, generous CME benefits
* Malpractice insurance that includes tail coverage
Learn more about this position by contacting:
Barb Hilborn, Director, Physician & APP Recruitment
Office: 800.968.3225 | Cell: 517.614.1629
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.