The Application Developer develops business software solutions through object and data modeling, database design, programming, quality assurance, and implementation support.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Work with business teams to clarify requirements and business needs.
- Collaborate with other developers and architects to determine optimal solution architecture, efficiency, maintainability, and scalability.
- Develop high-level system narratives, storyboards, and user interface prototypes.
- Develop system test plans, ensure software quality assurance (SQA) standards are achieved, and validate that business goals are accomplished.
- Develop applications to CDW coding standards and quality.
- Complete projects/tasks on a timely basis, according to commitments made to stakeholders and management
- Report project/task status to the appropriate Application Development Manager on a weekly basis (at minimum).
- Ensure stakeholders are responded to in a timely and professional manner. Foster open lines of communication with all parties.
- Mentor/train junior team members.
- 2 years experience in application development.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, or equivalent IT knowledge/experience.
Other Required Qualifications
- Demonstrated understanding of object-oriented design and programming techniques.
- Excellence verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with all stakeholders, including senior leadership.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in the software development process and creative problem solving skills.
- History of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines.
- Working knowledge in all stages of the software development life cycle: requirements gathering, design, development, testing, and implementation.
Expertise in creating applications using technologies such as C#, ASP.NET, ASP, Web Services, XML, SQL Server.
Skilled in three-tier Web application development
- Experience with RPG programming techniques
- Experience with OS/400, DB2/400, RPG (RPG/400, RPGIV, and ILE), CL, and Advantage: 2E, SQL or other query utilities, source/object control tools such as Implementer. Java experience/exposure a plus
- Experience in Remedy software development and configurations; integration tools, data mapping and report creation functions.
- Knowledge of ITIL V3 phases, functions and processes.
- Experience with Remedy ITSM including SRM.
- Experience with SQL development on MS SQL server.
For Java developers:
- Required experience with Java, SQL, JUnit, JDBC, Web Services, source code control tools, and UML
- Preferred experience in DB2, Websphere, Log4j, IBM's AS/400 Toolkit for Java and Ant
- Experience with OS/400, DB2/400, RPG (RPG/400, RPGIV, ILE), CL, or Advantage:2E a plus
- Experience in EDI implementation practices, data flows of electronic documents and development of business processes, use of industry standard formats such as EDI, XML, cXML messages, EDI translation and mapping software, and communication protocols along with standard encryption methods.
For Enterprise Management Systems:
- Experience in 3rd party software development and configuration, integration tools, data mapping, and report creation functions.
- Experience with SQL development on MS SQL Server.
- Informatica or SSIS ETL mapping experience a plus.
- Actuate experience a plus.
For Data Warehouse:
- Understanding of relational and multi-dimensional data design and development techniques including star schema, snowflake schema, cube design, ETL and others.
- Exposure (one year or less) to or experience with data warehousing tools such as MS SQL Server, MSAS, DTS, MDX, Hyperion Essbase, Informatica, and others.
- Exposure (one year or less) to or experience with reporting and analytic presentation tools and technologies such as Cognos, Business Objects, ProClarity, Excel Pivot Table Service for OLAP, XMLA, Crystal and others.