UNITED BY STEEL - We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace culture and celebrate the diversity of our employees. We are all responsible to live these principles and lead by example as we prioritize the physical and psychological safety of every team member.
United States Steel Corporation is seeking an Accountant to join its Corporate Accounting team. The position will require flexibility to work on a variety of accounting tasks and responsibilities and assist in preparing information that will be used in its financial statement footnotes that are filed in its quarterly and annual reports with the SEC.
- Develop, maintain and record accounting entries for various derivative programs and prepare details used for the derivative footnote in the Company's externally reported financial statements.
- Oversee headquarters closing process for several significant subsidiaries including analysis and verification of trial balance submitted to consolidation.
- Oversee currently outsourced and transition of certain newly outsourced accounting functions with outsourced accounting team located in India.
- Review and approve intercompany invoices as needed and help determine where intercompany accounting efficiencies may be achieved.
- Prepare, enter, and review other Oracle journal entries in support of the period close process.
- Reconcile certain general ledger accounts to the associated subledger.
- Analyze various general ledger accounts and provide well researched explanations for variances.
- Communicate effectively with numerous corporate departments and plant locations to ensure a smooth, controlled and dependable closing process.
- Perform month end closing for headquarters locations and other general headquarters accounting transactions.
- Assist with year-end inventory revaluation process and maintaining LIFO inventory accounting.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting preferred.
- Candidates should have a minimum of three to five years of experience in accounting, preferably at publicly held company or with a public accounting firm.
- CPA preferred
- High attention to detail and the ability to work well in a team environment.
- Strong communication, writing, interpersonal, organizational skills and ability to interact with all levels of management.
- Individual must be self-motivated and eager to learn new concepts and able to drive process and control improvements.
U. S. Steel is a leading steel producer founded in 1901. Today, we're a greener company with an infinitely recyclable product, the world's only LEED-certified steel mill, and an ambitious plan to reduce emissions.
We make products that make everyday life possible - automotive, construction, appliance, energy, container, and packaging industries all benefit from our innovation.
We show pride in our communities with company-sponsored employee volunteer programs, corporate contributions, partnerships in support of education, scholarships for our next generation of leaders, and many other programs. We are continually recognized for our commitment to our employees, most recently as a Most Loved Workplace (Newsweek 2021), a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality (Human Rights Campaign Foundation 2020 & 2021), and a Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion (Disability Equality Index 2021). It's easy to see why U. S. Steel employees take Pride in Our Past as we Build the Future, United by Steel.
Business & Support Services
Think: Think Critically and Drive Change
Lead: Develop Talent and Collaborate
Do: Empower Performance and Deliver Results
Equal Employment Opportunity
Conducting business with integrity and with the highest ethical values has underpinned U. S. Steel's success for over 100 years, and it remains critical to our company's success in the future. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) according to job qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, genetics, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, disability status or status as a protected Veteran or any other legally protected group status. (California residents may visit regarding collection of personal information and U. S. Steel's privacy practices.)
United States Steel Corporation