|Home Org Name
|Samuel Ginn Col of Engineering
|Principal Research Scientist / Engineer (Huntsville)
|Job Class Code
|Limited Term Length
|2 year limited term appointment, continuation of employment will be contingent upon availability of funding
This is a pool posting for future vacancies in this job classification. This is a two-year limited term appointment. Continuation of employment will be contingent upon the availability of funding.
These positions are in Huntsville, AL
The Auburn University Huntsville Research Center (
AUHRC) and the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering are seeking candidates for multiple positions of Principal Research Scientist/Engineer VI/
VII in anticipation of securing contract funding in multiple areas of engineering and science to include fields such as modeling and simulation; systems engineering and integration; cyber security engineering; critical infrastructure protection; advanced manufacturing; additive manufacturing; materials science and engineering; assured position, navigation and timing; propulsion systems and project management on multiple programs funded by government and private industry. These positions will be located in Huntsville, Alabama and will report to the Associate Dean for Research, College of Engineering. The successful candidates may also work with leaders of other units such as Auburn's McCrary Institute for Cyber and Critical Infrastructure Security, Cyber Research Center, National Center for Additive Manufacturing Excellence, and the Huntsville Research Center to identify and develop potential research sponsors in the strategic focus areas of Auburn University research.
Major responsibilities include providing technical expertise, through the various Auburn programs in subjects such as those listed above directly to government and industry sponsors.
The successful candidate will provide technical support for one or more of the following types of activities:
- Provide Subject Matter Expertise to senior leaders in government and industry related to subjects such as cyber security threats and subsequent threat mitigation strategies and methods.
- Provide Subject Matter Expertise to senior leaders in government and industry related to protecting the nation's critical infrastructure systems (energy, water, transportation, food, commerce, etc.).
- Provide Subject Matter Expertise to industry and government sponsors in the broad areas of modeling, simulation, and systems engineering and integration.
- Provide Subject Matter Expertise to senior leaders in government and industry related to additive manufacturing, advanced manufacturing, and advanced materials.
- Provide Subject Matter Expertise to senior leaders in government and industry related to vehicle dynamics and assured position, navigation, and timing.
- Provide Subject Matter Expertise to NASA and industry senior leaders in payload integration including requirement definition and verification / validation of potential exploration payloads.
- Provide Subject Matter Expertise to NASA and industry senior leaders in development and integration of NASA's launch vehicles and exploration programs.
- Collaborate with the nation's community of industry, government, and academia on national policy and technology that affects various defense, aerospace, manufacturing, and related industry sectors along with federal, state, and local government agencies.
About Auburn: At Auburn, our work changes lives. Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a premier public institution, Auburn University is dedicated to shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research, scholarship, and selfless service. Auburn is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, community outreach, positive work environment, student engagement, and thriving community.
Why employees choose Auburn: Auburn University was named by Forbes Magazine as one of the state of Alabama's best employers, with employees staying an average of ten years. Employees enjoy competitive benefits that include top-notch health insurance, generous retirement plans, tuition assistance for employees and dependents, flexible spending accounts, and more!
Our Commitment: Auburn University is committed to a diverse and inclusive campus environment. Visit
auburn.edu/inclusion to learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and inclusion for all.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
Conducts contract research and creates progress and final reports as necessary; provides technical management of research contracts and oversees the content and timeliness of contract deliverables.
Develops research proposals and budgets.
Coordinates research opportunities between Auburn University faculty and staff, local government agencies, and private industries.
Initiates and cultivates relationships with agencies and industries in order to build research and educational programs for Auburn University.
Establishes and grows research funding for Auburn University by pursuing local opportunities.
Interfaces with Auburn University faculty and staff to build an in-depth knowledge of on-campus research capabilities.
Candidate may supervise employees but supervision is not the main focus of the job; responsibilities could include training, mentoring, evaluating, and making or recommending pay, promotion or other employment decisions.
Minimum Skills, License, and Certifications
|Minimum Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of contracts, grants, budget, accounting, and finance principles is required. Technical knowledge in advanced systems engineering or cyber security related research projects and programs is required.
|Minimum Technology Skills
|Minimum License and Certifications
Extensive experience with government agencies or industry in engineering or science-based applications. Additional years of combined experience in planning, directing, executing, and integrating the work and resources of government agency/industry projects or programs; experience in business planning and development including developing key strategic partnership and relationships with Industry, government and research Institutions; excellent interpersonal communications skills.
Posting Detail Information
|$68,700 - $282,600
|Working Hours if Non-Traditional
|City position is located in:
|State position is located:
|List any hazardous conditions or physical demands required by this position
Auburn University is committed to an inclusive and diverse campus environment. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
UNIVERSITY IS AN
EMPLOYER. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
|Special Instructions to Applicants
|Quick Link for Internal Postings