Assists in the nursing care and preparation of surgical patients. Functions as a member of the surgical team, creates and maintains a sterile field; primary responsibility is that of scrub "nurse". May act as circulating "nurse" under the supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN), who is immediately available to respond to emergencies.
- * Functions as a scrub assistant.
- Scrubs hands and arms, and dons gown and gloves.
- Set up operating room tray, arranging instruments, sponges, sutures, catheters, drains and dressings.
- Assists surgical team during surgery by passing/counting instruments and sponges, dressings, etc.
- * Functions as a circulating assistant (under direct supervision of RN).
- Prepares Operating Room for surgery by obtaining necessary supplies and equipment.
- Prepares patient for surgery in prescribed manner to provide a surgically sterile field.
- Operates lights, tables, suction machines, cautery, etcduring surgery.
- May assist Nurse in planning and labeling specimens obtained during surgery.
- * Assists in care of Operating Room after surgery by disposing of soiled linens, gloves, and debris; sterilizing instruments, etc according to terminal technique.
- * Assists in the care and maintenance of instrumentation and equipment.
- * Performs a variety of related duties, such as transporting patients to and from Operating Room, maintaining appropriate records, etc.
- * Assists with routine Operating Room functions such as holding retractor(s).
- * Assists Nurse with orientation of new staff to scrub position.
- Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- AAS Degree in Operating Room Technology, preferred. Knowledge of surgical instruments and specialized equipment, required.
- Certification by Association of Operating Room Technicians, required; must be obtained within one (1) year of date of employment.
- Successful completion from a nationally accredited educational program for surgical technologist, and holds and maintains a certified surgical technologist (CST) credential administered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA), required.OR (meets one for the following)
- Completed an appropriate training program for surgical technology in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or Public Health Service Commissioned Corps;
- Provides evidence that the person was employed as a surgical technologist in a healthcare facility for a cumulative period of one year, occurring within the four years immediately prior to January 1, 2015; or
- In the service of the federal government, to the extent the person is performing duties related to that of a surgical tech.
- *a person may be employed or contracted with to practice surgical technology during the 12-month period immediately following successful completion of a surgical technology program, but may not continue to be employed beyond that period without documentation that the employee holds and maintains a certified surgical technologist credential required.
- Must be and remain in good standing with NYS regulations, required.
*Additional Salary Detail
The salary range and/or hourly rate listed is a good faith determination of potential base compensation that may be offered to a successful applicant for this position at the time of this job advertisement and may be modified in the future.When determining a team member's base salary and/or rate, several factors may be considered as applicable (e.g., location, specialty, service line, years of relevant experience, education, credentials, negotiated contracts, budget and internal equity).