Performs direct and indirect Perioperative tasks for patients having surgical procedures. Performs delegated patient care activities while ensuring patient safety.
- Implements and communicates the age specific plan of care and gives thorough reports at change of shift and relief time and communicates with team members regarding the need for special equipment and supplies, and implementation of care per established policy.
- Participates in turnover activities and room set up for each surgical procedure, including connection of suction, electrical cords, power cables and electrocautery; break down of operating room following each surgical procedure; assists with ensuring adequate supply of stock for patient care and monitors each case to ensure all infection control measures are met and all sterilization standards are adhered to.
- Establishes and maintains a sterile field and monitors the aseptic technique of the surgical team; documents accordingly and takes corrective action, as necessary and adheres to and monitors principles of aseptic techniques in the clinical environment including use of sterile instruments and supplies.
- Follows procedure for decontaminating of all instruments used during the procedure and assists with instrument processing and sterilization, as well as maintains environmental controls and takes appropriate precautions regarding waste disposal.
- Performs sponge, sharp, and instrument counts with the RN according to policy and takes appropriate action when counts are incorrect.
- Ensures appropriate and safe use of equipment and instrumentation prior, during and post-operatively.
- Correctly holds retractors as prescribed by the supervising physician; anticipates the need for surgical equipment and supplies and secures same.
- Checks and or troubleshoots equipment for proper functioning prior to use and removes malfunctioning equipment for repair.
- Assists surgeon with patient care procedures including proper labeling of all specimens from surgical field, tapping mallet and cutting suture (licensed personnel only) and performing surgical skin prep.
- Performs related duties as required. All responsibilities noted here are considered essential functions of the job under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Duties not mentioned here, but considered related are not essential functions.
- Vocational or Technical school Diploma required.
- Current Surgical Technologist Certification required, plus specialized certifications as needed.
- 1-3 years of technical experience, required.
*Additional Salary Detail
The salary range and/or hourly rate listed is a good faith determination of potential base compensation that may be offered to a successful applicant for this position at the time of this job advertisement and may be modified in the future.When determining a team member's base salary and/or rate, several factors may be considered as applicable (e.g., location, specialty, service line, years of relevant experience, education, credentials, negotiated contracts, budget and internal equity).