- Performs duties in the scrub role as assigned.
- 1)Completely prepares sterile field in a timely manner; maintains the sterile field and boundaries prior to and during procedure.
- 2)Complies with departmental policy and procedures regarding specimens, counts, and disposition of contaminated instruments.
- 3)Assists the physician by sponging, suctioning, retracting, and cutting suture as required and instructed by the physician.
- 4)Acts as preceptor, sharing knowledge in a supportive/educational manner.
- 5)Maintains on-call availability.
- 6)Assists in emergency situations as assigned, demonstrating appropriate actions and prioritizing to meet patient's condition.
- 7)Maintains a safe work environment according to regulatory agency standards.
- 8)Anticipates the needs of the physician as demonstrated by having all items required readily available on the sterile field.
- 9)Participates in the surgical Time Out and does not allow the procedure to continue until all team members agree.
- Responsible for the preparation of the surgical field and supplies/instruments delivered to the field.
- 1)Verifies instrument/supply/equipment available and ready per physician preference card.
- 2)Verifies specific needs of physician by completely reading scrub tips.
- 3)Assists in opening sterile supplies and instruments.
- 4)Assists with clean up and turnover upon completion of case.
- 5)Efficiently utilizes supplies to avoid waste and decrease costs.
- In collaboration with health care team, assists in providing for a cooperative work environment.
- 1)Assists with maintaining the established goals of Surgical Services and Advocate
- 2)Shares clinical and professional knowledge in a supportive/educational manner.
- 3)Demonstrates self-direction in utilizing work time appropriately.
- 4)Accepts and completes team responsibilities as assigned.
- 5)Informs the Team Leader of changes to the physician preference cards.
- 6)Ensures proper instrument and equipment function; tagging and reporting any broken or malfunctioning equipment/instruments to supervisor.
- Responsible for compliance with hospital policies and procedures.
- 1)Maintains patient confidentiality.
- 2)Utilizes Standards of Behavior with members of health care team and patients.
- 3)Promotes a culture of patient safety by reporting of issues through established channels and participating as requested in safety initiatives.
- 4)Acts as patient advocate to ensure patient welfare by collaborating with physicians and the health care team.
- Responsible for maintenance of professional growth.
- 5)Maintains current competencies.
- 1)Demonstrates self-direction in maintaining professional skills.
- 2)Independently completes assignments/projects.
- 3)Participates in unit/hospital committees and projects.
- 4)Maintains educational records and timecard.
- Graduate of surgical technologist program OR 2 years of surgical scrub experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- *CPR certified. *Certified Surgical Technologist certification will be obtained by the employee by sitting for the certification exam within 3 months of employment.
Physicial Requirements and Working Conditions:
- *Must be willing to work with exposures to body fluids, waste and chemicals, radiation, hazardous materials, anesthesia gases and life threatening diseases *On-call availability (nights, weekends, holidays) *Rotating shifts This position needs to recognize the needs and behaviors of specific age groups of patients treated. *Ability to move heavy patients and equipment and to stand for long periods of time *Flexibility to deal with stressful, changing environments *Ability to respond quickly to emergencies Ability to communicate, cooperate and work well with others.
- If position has direct patient care or direct patient contact the following lifting requirement supersedes any previous lifting requirement effective 06/01/2015. Ability to lift up to 35 pounds without assistance. For patient lifts of over 35 pounds, or when patient is unable to assist with the lift, patient handling equipment is expected to be used, with at least one other associate, when available. Unique patient lifting/movement situations will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.